Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mount Alvernia Maternity Tour

We went for the Mount Alvernia Maternity Tour the same day we had our obgyn appointment. The hospital is just a short drive from the clinic. And we had a bit of time to shop at Junction 8.

The maternity tour is scheduled at 2.30 pm on weekdays.
I was eager to leave Junction 8 by 1.45 pm because I was afraid that
- we will get lost somehow,
- we will not find a parking space, and
- whatever else that can go wrong will probably go wrong.
You know, Murphy's Law?

We arrived at Mount Alvernia a couple of minutes past 2pm.
It was exactly like what I read in the forums - the parking situation is really quite bad.
The carpark is undergoing upgrading works and it is really dusty.
We later found out that it will be done in the first quarter of 2014.
It wan't exactly ideal for Ms. Preggers to be walking through the dust so the very concerned hubby dropped me off at the main lobby. Because he is so sweet, he managed to find a lot in the dark, dusty, "under-construction" carpark pretty quickly.


First impression of Mount Alvernia
It felt very warm and welcoming! And I do appreciate that a lot.
I was guided to the Patient Liaison Centre by a cheerful staff. 

The tour begins...
Each of the couple received a goodie bag which consists of some brochures on the hospital, vouchers, a magazine and some samples.

A short briefing was done in the Centre. That was when I wished I had brought along a pen instead of the camera. I didn't get to take any photos in the end but I could certainly do with some notes.

We went through maternity packages available in Mount Alvernia (Nightgowns are not provided. Need to get me some pjs!) as well as a brief introduction of the Alvernia Ladies Card.

We were then guided to Block A, Level 3, an entire level dedicated to mommies and babies.
Daddies are able to bring the mommies to the delivery suites before proceeding with the admission.
We learnt that if the Daddies are driving, they can basically leave the car for valet parking, or if it's night and no valet parking is available, chuck the car and park it later. Mommies are the priority!

Delivery Suites
All the delivery suites were occupied on the day of the tour.
We had to go to the 'spare delivery suite' which has amenities like the television, arm chair, Wi-Fi (ah-ha!) etc. The only difference is that the spare suite does not come with an attached bathroom.

What I learnt: 
- The various pain relief options (music, aromatherapy, hydrotherapy at $800 per soak..)
- Inform the nurses if we would like immediate skin-to-skin contact with the baby.
- The baby will be passed to Mommy one hour after birth for breastfeeding.

I have to confess.
I freaked out a little when we entered the delivery suite and observation rooms.
It didn't help that the entire group walked past a mommy who had just given birth.

Suddenly everything felt so real.
In a couple of months, I will be the one there.

The Wards
We were shown the old wing, and the new.
I can't remember which is which but it didn't really make much of a difference to me.
I was pretty comfortable with both. Though I'll probably like the one without the balconies better.

We were lucky to be able to view most of the rooms.

- Double bedder
Not my first option because I'll want the hubby to be with me. And with double-bedders, baby won't be able room in.

- Single
Pretty good sized to me. I don't really like huge rooms. Baby is allowed to room it.
I'd love that though I'm still not very sure if I'd want that when the time comes. At least there's an option?

- Single Deluxe
Apparently the same size as the single. The only difference is that this has a DVD player a electric kettle

-Super Deluxe
I assume most people will like this. It's a lot more spacious and the sofa bed is longer. 
Better for the husbands staying over. The room feels a little too big though. For some reasons, I don't like huge rooms.

We didn't manage to view the four-bedders and the family suite (which I assume will be really huge)

All the rooms come with a clean, nice-sized bathroom with a standing shower.

Lactation Consultants will come by the wards to visit (working hours) should mommies need help in breastfeeding.

ParentCraft Centre
We ended the tour at the ParentCraft Centre.
This is where mommies and daddies can attend the one hour complimentary class on caring for the baby.
If my memory didn't fail me, classes are conducted on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10am - 11am. See why I need a pen now?

We were given a complimentary drink voucher at the end of the tour.
We ended up having tea at the cafe, with snacks. The food isn't fantastic but I guess we should keep the expectations realistic.


Overall, it was a rather good experience.
The staff we encountered are really friendly. I hope all of them are like that!
Though I'm not exactly impressed with the exterior of the hospitals (as well as the renovation works that's going on), it's the interior and ambience that matters. I must say I'm pretty comfortable at Mount Alvernia.

I think little princess should be delivered in Mount Alvernia after all. :)



2 comments:

  1. We wanted to go for MA's maternity tour today, 08.07.15. There was 1 cancellation and we could make it there max 10mins late.

    However, we spoke to one of their nurse, Ms A, who seem very insensitive to our needs.

    As we plan to have a look at the hospital and the rooms to see if it suits us and our requirements before booking a gynae tagged to that hospital.

    For 10mins late, we would advised against coming for the maternity tour, which we are alright with it, as to us, its the visual that counts most.

    Secondly, we were again advised against coming for a tour so early with an EDD 7mths later, "as its likely we would have to come down again in 3-4mths time and take up another slot"
    Really? whats up with MA??? guess biz is really too good that u can start turning away potential biz

    We have visited other hospitals and MA is regretfully to say, the worst hospitality!

    Counter staff Ms G tried damage control but the damage has already been done, thank you for saving me 1 trip down MA. You got my thumbs down even before i see your premises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm not sure if you will get to see this.

      I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I felt very much at ease when I went for the tour two years back. I guess things could change in two years. To me the environment mattered more than the people. I'm easily spooked out and hospitals are not my favourite places to visit. The nurses who took care of me after I delivered were very nice, especially since I was quite a troublesome patient and they made me feel so much better.

      Then again, it's important to choose a hospital you feel comfortable with. Don't be too upset with your experience. A happy momma/daddy makes a happy baby! :)

      Delete